Sunday, October 08, 2006


Stupid time zones

As I have previously posted, I absolutely miss college (American) football. In Nebraska, cooler weather means that it is time for football, and people (including me to some degree) get crazy about it. By now, the season is nearing its mid-point, and the Huskers (University of Nebraska’s nickname) are playing pretty well, at least compared to past seasons. For the third consecutive year, after going to every home game for 4 years, I haven’t been able to watch the Nebraska team. However, I typically try to listen to the games over the internet with streaming audio. It isn’t the same, but it is still better than nothing. Usually, Nebraska is playing at 11:30 in the morning or 2:30 in the afternoon local time, which is 7:30 or 10:30 at night Finnish time. I can easily stay awake to listen to these games. However, the last two weeks Nebraska has been playing under the lights, which for me means the game is starting around 3 in morning. Generally, I don’t stay up that late unless I’ve been drinking. Thus, in one sense, doing a bit of partying on Saturday night is a good idea; it will keep me awake so I can listen to the game. As it happens, both of the past Saturdays, I was still up at 3 to hear the start of the game. Unfortunately, I was also slightly intoxicated both times, so I was sleepy, and both weeks I fell asleep before halftime. Oh well, I guess I just need to accept that the time zones have defeated me.

This has been a very pointless post. I’ll try to add some more weight to it by telling everyone to check out The Decemberists. Ines and I both like them, so you know it’s gotta be good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sex's drugs and Rock n roll!! That'll keep you up through the night!!!

I hope your team does well, cause in the por leagues the champ is going to come from the mile high city!