Sunday, October 01, 2006


Mission accomplished…time to hurry down

Two weeks ago I had a manuscript accepted for publication (good news). However, manuscripts are never accepted outright; they always require some degree of revision before they can be published. As expected, this manuscript required a fair amount of revision. Unfortunately for me, the editor only gave me two weeks to make the revisions (bad news). To complicate things, I was at the university’s field station for the entire first week I had to revise the manuscript. For all intents and purposes, I’ve basically had the past three days to perform all the necessary revisions. All told, the revisions took about 24 hrs of work. Whew, it’s been hectic. But mere hours ago, I completed the revisions and re-submitted the paper. Mission accomplished. Now it is time to hurry down….Huh? hurry down? Yeah, a consortium of my friends has decided it is time to introduce the term ‘hurry down’ into the English language. Basically it means the exact opposite of the phrase ‘hurry up’. If you need to go from being busy to being relaxed, then you need to hurry down. I can’t claim to be the originator of this phrase. It was coined by another Daniel, from Spain. But the underlying concept can be used to twisting phrases to create new meanings, e.g. chill in, hang in, etc. Post any good ones you can come up with in the comments.

No comments: