Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Nippy...

As I was going to the lab this morning, I noticed a pleasant, white frost coating cars, grass, and most anything else. Last night, the temperature must have been at or below zero (call me captain obvious). This may not have been the first frost of the year (I'm not terribly observant), but it was the first that I noticed. For some reason, this is somehow a magical event in my eyes...at least the first time I notice it. Growing up, I always eagerly awaited the first frost. I suffered from hay fever every autumn in Nebraska, and I looked forward to a good, hard frost killing the many plants responsible for my misery. Fortunately, I haven't had the same symptoms in Finland, so the changing weather doesn't really benefit me by ending my seasonal allergies. Nonetheless, I still think the first frost is somehow magical. The air feels fresh and crisp as you breath it in, and the visible cloud you exhale reminds you that things are changing whether or not you want them to. Magical or not, the frost struck me enough to post about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny....I was in a bikini last week. I think the first frost I'll see this year will be in Nebraska...