Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Physicists are weird

If anyone is interested in a new perspective on reality, check this out. First off, I can’t claim to know enough about physics, current scientific consensus, or quantum mechanics to say whether these ideas have any validity. However, I still think that it is interesting to see the world from different perspectives, regardless of whether or not they’re “right”. Basically, if I understood the cartoon on the website, the idea that we live in 4 dimensions (with time as the 4th) is a considerable oversimplification of reality. Here, I agree with him. Every organism is constrained by their own sensory mechanism, and I believe humans are no different. We can only perceive what we need to…that’s why we can’t smell as well as dogs, see as well as eagles, or hear as well as owls. We must be missing a whole lot of the events transpiring in the universe. I’m getting sidetracked, but the point is we only can comprehend 4 dimensions, because that’s all we need to. The cartoon goes on to explain what the higher dimensions would be like. To be honest, I got a bit lost here. None of these ideas are easily grasped, but the whole conceptual framework seems to draw on observations from quantum physics (the stuff happening at sub-atomic level). A long-existing concept in quantum physics is that some subatomic particles, electrons I believe, cannot really be described as particles. They exist as “waves of probability”. This essentially means that you can guess where in space the particle may be, but you can’t be sure. When you consider every possible spot a particle may be, then you’re considering lines crossing into other dimensions. I don’t really understand how the dimensions are stacked onto one another, but the point is that they are connected. When we get to the tenth dimension, it is composed of an infinite amount of universes with all possible timelines. Then, the superstrings vibrating in that dimension have consequences for all the other dimensions, including the ones we seem to be aware of (i.e. time and space). Weird to even try to comprehend. I wonder where physicists get their ideas, and, more importantly, how they can possibly test some of these ideas. As I said, I can’t say how “correct” this theory is, but I am pretty certain than any accurate explanation of physical reality will be pretty wild. Thanks to Lukas for sending me the website.
Dan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude!!! The only physics and man needs to know is hydraulics.. the up and down / front and back motion.. thats all baby!! :D