Saturday, August 26, 2006


Looking for treasure in Jyväsjärvi

Everyday I spend about 1-2 hrs in Lake Jyväsjärvi looking for infected isopods. During this glamorous work, which draws baffled stares from most passersby, I have found a whole bunch of stuff that isn’t supposed to be in a lake. Here’s a list of things I can recall from memory: a variety of bones (probably from cows), trash (of course…especially bottles), heavy duty gloves (for ice fishing?), 3 tires, a few tennis balls, uncountable shoes of all different styles, a full bag of carrots, a horse shoe, and a dead dog. I’ll elaborate on some of these. The first time I found a bone (the pic), I was really wondering what it came from. A colleague of mine tells me that there used to be a slaughterhouse a few km upstream of Jyväsjärvi, so I assume the bones must be from cows. Actually, now that I’ve noticed them, I spot these bones all over the lake…I could probably build a cow skeleton if I was so motivated. Not so sure how some of the other stuff gets into the lake, such as the tires, shoes, and food items. I guess people just toss it into the lake for fun. A colleague once found a coconut in the lake. It’s not a native Finnish plant, so I’m guessing someone wanted to test whether coconuts float. The dead dog was and still is really disgusting. When you look at it you want to turn away but you just can’t. I now refer to the area I found it as Dead Dog Bay. I find all this stuff along the shoreline. I can’t even imagine all the stuff that is at the bottom of the lake. The maximum depth of Jyväsjärvi is about 35 m, and, based on my basic understanding of limnology and water currents, I think most of the stuff that goes down there doesn’t come back up. I like to think that there is some really amazing treasure at the bottom of the lake and not just a big pile of rubbish.

No comments: