Thursday, July 20, 2006

Self-identity in the 21st century

The search for an appropriate and comfortable identity is a journey that everyone must undertake. At some point in our lives we need to address, consciously or not, the questions of what we’re gonna do and what we’re gonna be? After making such important decisions we act on them. We pursue goals, adhere to certain lifestyles, and build careers. Through such actions and experiences we should build some kind of identity for ourselves. But how can check to see if our own perception of our identity is concordant with the notions of the world? Luckily, modern technology has provided us a way to tackle this vexing problem. Of course, I’m referring to the Google search engine. What better way to see how the world views you than by googling your own name and seeing what pops up? I can’t propose such a technique without trying it out, so let’s give this a run-through with my name.

The Google search returned 37,500 sites (apparently there are more Beneshs than I ever imagined). Since I don’t have the time to go through all of those (who would?), I’ll just consider the first 10. Only 5 of the first 10 actually refer to me (#1, 3, 4, 5, and 6), but at least I’m dominating the top 5. The 1st, 5th, and 6th sites all deal with my Fulbright scholarship to come to Finland. The third site is the only one dealing with my 4 years at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and I’m just a name on a long list of honors program people. The 4th site is a link to the issue of the Journal of Parasitology containing my very first paper. In my opinion, which seems to be in contrast to the workings of google’s search algorithm, this should be first. This link involved the most work by me to bring into existence. In any case, from these Google search results, what can we conclude about my identity? Well, as a fairly biased judge, I would consider myself a nerdy (see UNL honors program) parasitologist (duh) that for some reason ended up in Finland. Yep, it sure seems like Google nailed my identity, and, further, it lets me know that my notions about who I am are more or less right. The system works!....in this single case. I wouldn’t be scientific minded if I didn’t consider some of the drawbacks. For example, in my case the 2nd paper I published is nowhere to be found. Why? I don’t know, but I guess Google doesn’t value it. It deals with molecular evolution, so I guess I can’t rightly consider myself a molecular biologist (which is probably a good thing). I suppose most people would consider this approach pointless if they work on and accomplish things that just don’t make it onto the internet. To this critique, we must remember the age we live in, the information age. If the high points in your life don’t make it onto the internet, then you gotta get with the times! Finally, people with extremely common names may scoff at my method as the Google hits will hardly ever be about them. Take this as motivation. Try to be the best damn Joe Common-name ever! Try to become an internet mogul. Competition is generally a good thing (the American in me talking there).

Ok, I’ve been writing this too long. Anyone who wants, point out the faults in my quickly reasoned theory.

Dan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In other words, our identity and own sense of self worth are defined and controlled by Google? Yikes! Said the guy with the common name who only got two menial hits............I think I'll go jump off a bridge.

The Antediluvians said...

I didn't say 'controlled'. I just propose that Google's services are a nice way to check out how the world views you thereby confirming or undermining any of your own self-perceptions. Please don't jump off a bridge. Two hits are better than no hits! Also, if this blog causes anyone to jump off a bridge there would be some serious legal repercussions for me.