Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Here is a mind-blowing statistic: only 27% of American citizens have passports. Everyone knows the stereotype…Americans are terribly reluctant and perhaps even frightened to leave their country and experience other cultures. While there tends to be a shred of truth in many stereotypes (otherwise why would they exist), I didn’t realize how true this one was. I would have guessed this statistic to be somewhere between 40 and 50%. I apparently overestimated my countrymen’s desire (capability?) to travel abroad. On the other hand, it does explain the occasionally baffling stupidity of Americans concerning events, places, cultures, etc. outside the U.S. Here’s an example from my own personal experience. I was preparing to leave Nebraska and head for Finland, so I was canceling various services, such as the phone, TV, internet, etc. It was typical for these people to ask why I was ending the services, and my reply was always that I was leaving the country. Generally, that was a satisfying answer for most people, but some particularly curious people asked further questions about where I was going and why. After telling one particularly bright service agent that I was going to live in Finland, he gave this bamboozling reply (as best as I can recall): “what, is there a war going on there?” Stereotype confirmed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't totally agree Dan. America may be the richest country in the world, but we're also one of the most income inequal. I don't think the issue is merely one of desire or motivation or open mindedness. Travel is expensive, and when you're travelling from the US, if you're not going to Canada or Mexico it probably requires an international flight, which costs a lot of money. It also takes a lot of time, and with average vacation times at work of 2 weeks a lot of people aren't willing to invest the travel time required for a trip overseas, especially with the abundants of national parks and interesting cities in the US. It's a trade off. I do think more Americans should travel abroad, it would be good for us to have a more cosmopolitan vision of world affairs, but for lots of Americans it's simply not possible.

Melanie

The Antediluvians said...

Mel, you could be right. Perhaps, I paint too grim a picture, and I acknowledge that difficulties in getting out of the U.S. from time to time. Nonetheless, what still baffles me is how little most Americans know about the rest of the world. That's what bothers me. Btw, thanks for the civility (not totally agreeing).
Best,
Dan